Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In all my newfound frugalness...

I decided to try homemade laundry detergent! Borax and washing soda have been used for generations before me, so I really don't understand where all the commercial products came in to play. I have to admit though, the smell of freshly washed and perfumed sheets have always been one of my favorite things, however, the cost of all the smelly-goodness is getting rather ridiculous. Even having started couponing, I'm finding myself getting frustrated finding generous numbers of coupons to buy products at their "rock-bottom" prices and still only purchasing a few at a time. With this method (assuming it works well) I will be able to do hundreds of loads, filled to the brim, for probably $10/month, if that! YES, please! 

I made up a small batch to try and the first load is in the dryer now. Also, I used about a half cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle, which is supposed to work as a softener. (Really!). I opened the washer lid and DID notice a faint smell of vinegar. But to actually sniff the articles, there were no traces of it. Only a nice, light smell of the Ivory soap! I am SUPER anxious to pull the clothes out and see the final results. And I WILL be updating!! :)

If you would like to try:
  
Small batch
2 cups shaved bar soap. (The actual recipe called for Fels-naptha. I used Ivory).
1 cup Borax.
1 cup Washing soda.
Mix well. 
Some have said to use 2 tablespoons per load, some have said 1/2 cup. I used almost a 1/4 cup because it was a medium sized load. 

Add 1/2 cup white vinegar to rinse cycle (you can use the downy ball, or built in softener cup if you have it. Thankfully, I have the built in cup-otherwise, I forget every time!).

Voila!!! Happy laundering! :)

xo-mk

****UPDATE****
So...I start pulling the clothes out of the dryer, sniffing each piece (ha!). This load was a mixture of mine, Lucas' and Brian's clothes. Plus, a couple of Lucas' pissy PJ pants (from nightly diaper leaks), and a couple items from my husbands PT (Army exercise) clothes. Most of the clothes smell and look fresh and clean! However...I am going to have to figure out something to do for the really soiled items, like the PT's and pee pants. Although it wasn't terrible, there was still a hint of stinkiness there. SO...The next load, I added baking soda to the wash, also adding 1 cup to my previous detergent mixture. So we'll see what happens there and again, I WILL update! 

(By the way, I have used liquid laundry detergent for YEARS now. I felt it would dissolve and clean better than powder. I still slightly feel that way and may try the next recipe in liquid form. I'll share than when I do.)


1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who makes her own laundry detergent as well. I have her recipe somewhere - if I can find it I will post in case you want to compare. I haven't been brave enough to try it yet myself, but she has multiple kids and seems to like it.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Kiser, too by Maria Kiser is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.