Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The latest stop on the diabetes train.

I am extremely unorganized. Always have been. It's not a trait I acquired from those in my family that are. I am also very scatterbrained and that became much worse after having two children. Add in having to watch what I eat, when I eat it and taking multiple insulin shots per day and you have a terrible mess. My doctor took one look at my glucose meter readings today and that was the exact word he used, "terrible". Numbers as high as 464. Some even reading just "hi", if he could see those.

I started following the Primal Diet a few weeks ago and the week that I strictly stuck to it, my numbers were all pretty great, considering. After dinner numbers of 177, WITHOUT any insulin injections beforehand. Primal cuts out almost all carbohydrates. No bread, grains, hydrogenated oils, etc. Lots of leafy greens, vegetables, lean meats and fish. Let me go ahead and tell you, I am absolutely a meat eater. I could never NOT be a meat eater. So, eating primal is really not that hard for me. Until it comes to snacking. I can only handle so many nuts!

Moving on to my insulin regimen, that has changed as of yesterday. I was on a short acting and a separate long acting insulin, having to inject myself a minimum of twice a day, even up to 6 if I didn't inject enough or ate the wrong things. Now, I have a 24 hour insulin pen. If that doesn't work, the next step will be a pump. That really terrifies me!

I eat A LOT of the wrong things. Will power? What is that?!

Topping the appointment off, was my doctor saying my thyroid feels swollen. Great. But, maybe that would explain the constant fatigue, sluggish, lazy, depressed feeling that I just can't seem to shake. I haven't touched my seeing machine in months. Haven't touched my actual camera in weeks. It's all I can do to drag myself out of bed every morning, regardless of how many hours I've just slept.

Hopefully, I will get some answers soon. And be able to get this insulin thing on the right track. I need to be healthy for my family. I don't know how to get it in my head that I HAVE to change my diet and maintain the change for the long haul. I am not disciplined enough for this.

Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Kiser, too by Maria Kiser is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.